Okla. law limits manpower to vol. fire departments
The law allows up to 25 firefighters in each department to keep pension costs in check
SLAUGHTERVILLE, Okla. — Months after a massive wildfire tore through Slaughterville, The Gibsons are re-building their home. As they start from the ground up, The Gibsons say being on this side of the fire is unfamiliar territory, that's because Tony Gibson was a volunteer firefighter.
"I've never seen a fire like this in the 10 years that I was on there," Gibson recalls.
The Gibsons know first hand the limited resources available to Slaughterville and other volunteer fire departments across the state. Oklahoma law allows a maximum of 25 volunteer firefighters in each department.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze