NC fire chief dies of apparent heart attack
Chief Walter M. Summerville III reported feeling sick the day before his death
Duty Death: Walter M. Summerville III - [Kernersville, North Carolina]
KERNERSVILLE, N.C. — A N.C. fire chief died earlier this month after falling ill at the scene of a shooting.
Fire Chief Walter M. Summerville III, 55, a 25-year-veteran of the Kernersville Fire Dept. started to complain that he didn't feel well while leaving the triple shooting incident, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
As the rest of the crew was finishing up at the scene, Chief Summerville waited in one of the station vehicles.
The next day, Chief Summerville again said he did not feel well and went home early.
A family member found him shortly after already dead from an apparent heart attack.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze