Woman found dead outside fire station
Officials are considering adding call boxes outside fire stations for those in distress
By Eric Robinette
The Journal News
FAIRFIELD TWP. — Fairfield Twp. officials have proposed installing emergency call boxes at the township’s two firehouses after a woman was found dead Dec. 22 outside the Tylersville Road station.
Carla Smith, 39, of Hamilton, apparently went to the fire station seeking help, but got no reply to her knocks on the door. Shawn Denholm, a JournalNews carrier for the past seven years, discovered Smith’s body a few feet from the station’s front door around 5 a.m. while delivering a newspaper there.
“I look and I see a car that’s running and what looked like it was a blanket. But it was this skinny woman who fell down, so I walked up and called 911,” said Denholm, of Hamilton. “She was already dead, so there was nothing I could do.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- Off-duty firefighter hospitalized after being shot multiple times
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze