Video: East St. Louis Fire Dept. showcases budget cut challenges
The department is hoping this video will bring attention to the troubles they and firefighters around the nation are facing
Editor's note: For more insight on how videos like these effect the fire service, read Chief Adam K. Thiel's analysis.
EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. — Statter911 points us to this video detailing the challenges the East St. Louis Fire Department is facing.
The video shows deserted firehouses and helmet cam footage of crews battling blazes.
According to the video description, the East St. Louis Fire Department responds to the highest percentage of fires in the St. Louis metro east, but the number of firefighters has dropped from 150 to 53 due to budget cuts.
By May 2013, 22 more firefighters may be laid off.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze