Video: Protesting firefighters spray cops with foam
They're protesting against budget cuts and want to keep their early retirement age at 58
BRUSSELS, Belgium — Firemen in Brussels, Belgium were protesting against national budget cuts in the fire department on Monday. They set fires and thoroughly foamed police officers along the way.
Talks are apparently ongoing on the ministerial level on the new Belgian budget, and firemen decided to get out in the streets to protest against cuts in their insurance benefits, insufficient staffing and tougher retirement plans.
Reportedly firefighters want to keep their early retirement age of 58, arguing their arduous job does not allow them to work into their 60s.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze