Firefighter sues homeowner after responding to blaze, slipping on porch

Firefighter Lawrence Wilson went the hospital and missed work after slipping; he stuff suffers from pain


TampaBay.com

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The fire began about 5 a.m. on a Sunday in March. A man lit two burners to cook a meal, but fell asleep.

He awoke in his house at 4056 18th Ave. S to the choking pain of smoke. The fire had spread from the kitchen to the attic, and by the time firefighters arrived, the man was running outside as flames consumed his home. Firefighter Lawrence Wilson was on scene. As they tried to put it out, Wilson was injured. He went to the hospital and missed work. He still suffers from pain. But his injury didn't come from the fire or smoke or a hazard caused by the blaze. Instead, he slipped on a piece of tile. So, Wilson sued the homeowner.

The suit, filed against Carl Gregory, says Wilson's pain and suffering, hospital bills, legal bills and emotional distress were because the owner installed "slippery tile on the front stairs." Neither man could be reached for comment.

Full story: Firefighter sues homeowner after responding to blaze, slipping on tile porch

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Get FIRE CHIEF in your inbox

Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the Fire Chief Newsletter!

Copyright © 2019 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.