Ex-treasurer accused of stealing $50K from fire, EMS departments
She used the money for shoes, airline tickets and to give herself raises
By Peter E. Bortner
The Pottsville Republican & Evening Herald
PORT CARBON, Pa. — Brenda S. Shuman, who prosecutors allege stole more than $50,000 from the Minersville fire company and EMS service for which she worked, must appear in Schuylkill County Court after waiving her right to a preliminary hearing on Wednesday.
Magisterial District Judge David A. Plachko bound over for court seven counts each of theft by deception, theft of lost property, theft and access device fraud and two of forgery against Shuman, 47, of Jones-town, after the defendant waived her right to the hearing.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze