Firefighter/EMT delivers own son at home
His wife started going into labor unexpectedly, about four weeks before the due date
SALEM, N.H. — A N.H. firefighter/EMT delivered his own son at home when the boy's mother unexpectedly went into labor.
Firefighter Thomas Porter and Dana Barrett were watching the Patriots game on Sunday when Barrett suddenly started having contractions.
"His head was already out, so there was no turning back at that point," Firefighter Porter told WCVB.
Ten minutes after Barrett's contractions started, her son Dakoda was born.
Porter said that his training paid off when he realized that Dakoda's umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.
"Once I got the umbilical cord off from around his neck, she pushed one more time and he was out," Porter said.
He added that Dakoda was the first baby he has ever delivered in his 10 years with the Derry Fire Department.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze