Video: News chopper crashes in front of responders at scene
The pilot and cameraman aboard survived the incident with minor injuries
PERTH, Australia —A Channel Ten cameraman has described being flung from the cabin of a helicopter as it crashed at Baskerville, in Perth's Swan Valley. The helicopter was filming a truck rollover on Weir Road on Saturday when the accident happened.
The chopper came to a rest on its side, having lost its tail rotor in the accident. Radio communication from the Department of Fire and Emergency Services reveals the pilot acted quickly to prevent a fire.
"The helicopter pilot has asked us to put foam on the aircraft ... while turbines are still running. Helicopter on its side - we are taking shelter behind the embankment."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze