5 NY departments split grant
AFG totalling $791,600 will be used to purchase upgraded breathing equipment
By Jennifer Sloat
Kings Park Patch
KINGS PARK, N.Y. — Several local fire departments, including Kings Park and Smithtown are the recipients of a $791,600 grant that will be divided among the awarded group.
The grant, given to Smithtown, Kings Park, Melville, Halestie and Centerport Fire Departments, was awarded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program, according to announcement from U.S. Reps. Tim Bishop and Steve Israel.
The money will be used to purchase upgraded breathing equipment commonly known as Scott Packs for responders to fire calls.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze