DIY firefighting doesn't pay: Australian couple's house burns
Noticed small fire in ceiling previous night, thought they had extinguished it
By Ashleigh Perriot
CANBERRA, Australia — Home owners have been warned against do-it-yourself firefighting after two "extremely lucky" Pearce residents escaped a house fire early yesterday.
Neighbours called 000 just after 7am after a passerby noticed the Charlton Street residence's chimney was alight. Fire crews responded quickly, extinguishing the chimney and parts of the roof that had caught fire.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- Off-duty firefighter hospitalized after being shot multiple times
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze