Fire department's battery-change program saves life
An elderly man was woken by his smoke alarm shortly after the fire department changed his batteries
By Sarah Crandall
CALABASH, N.C. — An elderly man’s life may have been spared Tuesday night thanks to the recent installation of new batteries in his smoke detector, Chief Randy Bork confirmed.
The batteries were changed in the man’s home, along Carter Drive, as part of a fire safety program called Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery. The program allows firefighters to change batteries in the smoke detectors of local community members when setting clocks back for daylight-saving time.
The fire broke out in the man’s heating unit while he was asleep, and the smoke detector alerted him to wake up and allowed him to leave his home safely and call 911.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze