Safety measures for computer users
Submitted by FireRescue1 Staff
With computer usage becoming ever more common for many in the fire service, it's important to remember the need for good posture and ergonomics to avoid conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis.
Measures to help avoid problems include:
• Blink your eyes frequently to reduce dryness.
• The tops of your eyebrows should be level with the top of the screen.
• Adjust the chair settings to adapt your body for the proper height and lumbar support.
• Shake your hands periodically when typing for extended periods of time.
• Reduce the need to reach for items by moving frequently used things such as telephones and files closer.
• Take frequent short breaks when performing repetitive tasks.
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.