Sperian introduces the Warrior™ A completely new SCBA design with NFPA certification
SMITHFIELD, RI — Sperian Respiratory Protection, working extensively with US and Canadian firefighters, has designed and produced a new and safer SCBA, offering incredible maneuverability that works with—not against—a firefighter.
The Sperian Warrior meets and surpasses the new NFPA standards — NFPA 1981 and 1982, 2007 Edition. To meet the new NFPA requirements, the Warrior and the Sperian IntelliPASS™ device underwent a series of the most demanding tests in the history of the NFPA.
Throughout the development of the Warrior, firefighters were placed at the center of the design process. “Firefighters wear their SCBAs in the most adverse conditions,” said Ed Woo, Vice President and General Manager of Sperian Respiratory Protection, Sperian Fire's respiratory business. “It was critical that firefighters tell us what they need and want in an SCBA, and we listened.”
The outcome is the Warrior, a new type of SCBA that offers unsurpassed comfort, mobility and dependability.
Ergonomics plays a key role in the design of the Warrior and really makes the SCBA stand apart from other SCBAs. Its uniquely hinged MaxxMotion™ Swivel and Pivot mechanism accommodates and adapts to each user’s individual body contour and body size. Compared to a ridged frame SCBA the Warrior offers firefighters up to a 20% increase in hip flexion when crawling, and up to 30% greater trunk mobility when bending over.
A lower center of gravity for the Warrior significantly reduces pressure at the upper and lower back to about one third the pressure of other SCBAs. This results in significantly less pain and fatigue, both common complaints among firefighters.
Because the air cylinder is positioned lower on the body, Warrior gives firefighters twice the neck and head mobility they have with typical SCBAs. With the Warrior, firefighters can look up without the rim of the helmet hitting the cylinder.
Additional safety features have been built into the Warrior:
· The sleek design has key functional components – first stage regulator, central power source, PASS audible and visual alarms, low air and battery alarms – all integrated into the Air-Pod™ backpack, eliminating dangerous catch points.
· The Air-Pod backpack offers a lightweight aluminum core with three carrying handles and carabiner holes for emergency extrication tested to over 1,000 lbs of pull force for carrying and extrication of a downed firefighter.
· A central power source utilizes 4 “C” batteries to power the IntelliPASS™ PASS device, visual alarms, battery status indicator, heads-up display (HUD) and optional Sperian Pathfinder™ firefighter locating system.
· The PASS device is completely re-engineered with an analog gauge, two PASS audible and visual alarms on the front and the back of the SCBA, and a data logging function.
· Two robust communication options are available: a Voice Amplification System with distortion-free sound and a wireless Radio Communication System with crystal-clear voice transmission.
· Best-in-class HUD options include the standard LED HUD or the optional Digital Dashboard™ LCD HUD. The Digital Dashboard displays digital and analog pressure and air time remaining in minutes, based on the user’s work rate.
· The SpeedChange Cylinder System™ offers easy one hand release with a spring lock for added safety; cylinders can be changed in as little as 35 seconds.
· Optional Pathfinder Firefighter Locator System utilizes pulse ultrasound technology to lead rescuers on the path to a downed firefighter, reducing search times by 50-80% in a blind search within a smoke filled structure.
About Sperian Fire
Sperian Fire is a division of Sperian Protection that features respiratory protection products and protective apparel for the fire service.
About Sperian Protection
With nearly 6,000 employees worldwide, Sperian Protection is the world leader in personal protective equipment (hearing, eye, respiratory and fall protection, gloves, clothing and footwear). The Group offers innovative products adapted to high-risk environments so that all workers in the manufacturing and services industries can work with confidence.
Sperian Protection is listed on Euronext’s Eurolist and on the SBF120. It is eligible for the SRD deferred settlement system.