Firefighter/EMT (Basic or Paramedic)
ARLINGTON COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENT - Arlington, Virginia
- Application Deadline:
- 50648 annual
Firefighter Emergency Medical Technician (FF/EMT) Recruit
The Arlington County Fire Department (ACFD) is an ++all-hazards++ and ++emergency medical services++department that provides all-hazards response to the community. The FF/EMT I Recruit/Trainee is a full-time, paid, uniform, entry-level position in ACFD. The FF/EMT I Recruit/Trainee learns and performs firefighting, emergency medical services, fire prevention and related emergency and all-hazards skills in a combination of classroom and on-the-job training.
- Firefighting, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and all-hazards response.
- Emergency medical services (EMS) and firefighting.
- Operating apparatus and equipment (fire trucks and ambulances).
- Participating in fire prevention activities (public education, inspections and pre-fire surveys).
- Attending drills, training and study classes.
- Participating in a physical fitness program.
- Participating in inspecting, maintaining and cleaning equipment and the fire station.
- Participating in other related duties and assignments.
- High school diploma or GED at time of written examination.
- At least 18 years old at time of the written examination.
- Good physical condition.
- Must be able to provide a valid driver’s license from place of residence at time of appointment (employees are not required to live in Virginia).
- Ability to complete Fire Recruit School and Probationary FF/EMT I training.
- Ability to do prolonged and physically strenuous work under hazardous conditions.
- Must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Work Hours: The FF/EMT works an average of ten (10) 24-hour shifts per month on a rotating basis.
- Reporting time is 7 a.m. The FF/EMT receives 11 paid holidays per year and Inauguration Day, but must work holidays when scheduled.
- Uniforms and equipment required and provided by ACFD.
- Health – CIGNA plans or Kaiser’s HMO
- Dental – Delta Dental Plan
- Workers’ Compensation
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Care
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Language Pay
- Metro/Mass Transit
- Vision Care
- Live Where You Work Grant
- Arlington Credit Union
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- College Savings Plan
* Enhanced benefits for Public Safety employees; 457 Deferred Compensation (which is County-matched up to $20 per pay period and allows the employee to set aside up to $17,000 in pre-tax earnings for retirement, employees over the age of 50 or within 3 years of retirement may contribute more); 401A and Roth 457B after-tax Deferred Contribution available; DROP (Deferred Retirement Option Plan).
Special Requirements/Additional Information
Must sign a “Condition of Employment” agreement. Arlington County requires that all new uniformed Fire Department employees be non-smokers and non-smokeless tobacco product users and sign an agreement stating that they will not smoke or use smokeless tobacco products on or off the job during their tenure of employment. A good driving record and a clean criminal history are essential.
Applicants engaging in any activity that would support a felony conviction may not be eligible for employment as a Firefighter. Convictions for DUI/DWI, Reckless Driving or Hit and Run, as well as multiple convictions for Speeding or other moving violations may result in disqualification. Incomplete and/or inaccurate information in the background package may result in disqualification.
More Information About Becoming a Firefighter/EMT
Call the Fire Department 24-hour Hotline at 703-228-4678. Leave a clearly spoken message and telephone number, and a member of the Fire Department Outreach Team will return your call. Visit any of our 10 fire stations and our uniformed staff will be glad to answer any of your questions.
- Age: 18-80
- Education: Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and be at least 18 years of age by the date of the exam.
- Experience: No experience necessary
How to Apply
Go to https://fire.arlingtonva.us/employment/ for further information on the hiring process and to apply.