Town of Ocean City - Ocean City, Maryland
- Application Deadline:
The Ocean City Fire Department is a combination department of volunteer and career personnel. There are 200 + members in the Volunteer Division and 51 members in the Career Division, including the Office of the Fire Marshal. Non-management level career Fire/EMS and Fire Marshal employees are represented by a recognized labor union. The Department is supplemented by a significant part-time workforce. OCFD responds to approximately 6,000 calls each year, many of these occurring during the busy summer season. The Department provides fire, rescue, fire inspection and paramedic-level EMS services to the 10 & ½ mile stretch of beach area and West Ocean City as well as mutual aid to Worcester County, Maryland and Sussex County, Delaware. The Department operates within a $7.4 million budget.The Fire Chief
The successful candidate will have educational credentials in fire, business, public administration or a related field from an accredited institution with ten or more years in fire and/or emergency medical services and five years in a command capacity or an equivalent level of responsibility in another department. Completion of the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program or Chief Fire Officer designation is highly desirable.Key Attributes
- Possess a record of high integrity, leadership, teamwork, innovation and creativity in leading organizations and people.
- Be experienced in budgeting, training, operations, emergency planning, and hands-on field experience in the context of natural disaster and continuity of operations.
- Be experienced in working successfully with labor groups and all employees.
- Possess the ability to effectively communicate and seek input from the City Manager, the City’s leadership, Volunteer and Career Division Command Staff, Firefighters and support staff.
- Be an advocate for OCFD employees’ workplace safety, proper equipment and facilities while balancing the need to ensure individual and departmental accountability and ensure effective use of public tax dollars.
- Be experienced in working with other emergency response agencies (local, regional, state and national).
- Value equity and inclusion within an organization encouraging recruiting and maintaining a diverse Fire Department.