Senior Forest Planner / Fire Ecologist
SWCA Environmental Consultants - Any, California
Sep 9, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Oct 10, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $DOE hourly
SWCA is providing the opportunity to work in one of the most dynamic, diverse and forward-thinking urban environments in California and the West. We are actively seeking to fill a Senior Forest Planner/Fire Ecology position for our growing western region. This position is a career growth opportunity to join SWCA's expanding fire and forest science practice, with increasing levels of responsibility. The role is a full-time, salaried position. The qualified Senior Forest Planner/Fire Ecologist would support a wide variety of fire science projects in the western US.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an employee-owned company of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance.
- Providing technical and business development expertise to better serve SWCA clients and assist in growing our Wildfire and Forestry Services.
- Leading forestry planning, forest compliance (NEPA and CEQA) and forest restoration efforts.
- Work closely with state and federal agency interdisciplinary teams to compile, synthesize, and develop forest/fire plans and reports.
- Working collaboratively with a team to meet the needs of assigned projects.
- Conducting background research and data collection.
- Conducting site visits, including preparing surveys and site assessments for projects located in the wildland urban interface and forested landscapes.
- Preparing technical documents and high-quality deliverables for clients.
- Will be responsibile for providing excellent organizational, oral, written and analytical skills.
- Applicant must be able to work in a team environment, with strong multi- tasking skills and able to work on more than one project at a time, meeting tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform under pressure with schedule constraints.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in environmental science, forestry, fire ecology, or a related field.
- Ten (10) plus years of experience with wildfire science, or comparable experience.
- CEQA and NEPA permit writing experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Working knowledge of GIS programs.
- Previous experience working in forestry, silviculture, forest ecology or fire ecology, with agencies at the local, state or federal levels.
- Experience working with and/or interpreting fire behavior modeling tools and forest stand simulations.
- Experience developing forest management plans, hazardous fuels projects and prescribed burn plans.
- Experience working with communities and agencies developing wildfire mitigation projects.
- Experience authoring fire, forestry and fuels related NEPA documents or sections of EA or EIS.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Age: Not specified
- Education: Bachelor's degree or higher in environmental science, forestry, fire ecology, or related field
- Experience: Ten (10) plus years of experience with wildfire science, or comparable experience.