City of Astoria - Astoria, Oregon
Mar 12, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Apr 15, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$20.20-24.80 DOE, plus other pay opportunities annual
This position is responsible for performing fire suppression, rescue operations and prevention duties; provides emergency medical services; cleans and maintains fire equipment and facilities; "acts in capacity" of the Driver/Engineer in their absence; does related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to fire and other emergency calls which include laying hose and connecting to hydrants; directing streams of water or chemicals onto fires; ventilating structures; searching buildings; and rescuing individuals from buildings or other hazardous situations.
- Provides emergency medical services at a minimum level of basic life support (BLS).
- Performs routine housekeeping and maintenance of facilities and grounds to maintain a clean, safe living and working environment.
- Trains and drills on fire and emergency medical related subjects, procedures and techniques to be fully trained in routine and new processes.
- Conducts or assists in training of other personnel, interns and volunteer firefighters.
- Drives fire apparatus and operates fire pump in the absence of the Driver/Engineer.
- Performs specialized fire and safety functions as assigned and trained (e.g. hazardous materials, technical rescue and marine/shipboard firefighting).
- Performs fire inspections as part of company inspection program; performs and prepares fire plans using department computer programs.
- Presents fire prevention/safety information to schools, organizations, businesses, etc., conducts fire station tours.
- Maintains punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Respectfully takes direction from Lieutenant, Deputy Fire Chief and Fire Chief and works within the chain of command.
APPLICATION PERIOD MARCH 10- April 15, 2021
APPLICANT SCREENING APRIL 16-19, 2021
APPLICANT NOTIFICATIONS APRIL 20, 2021 or sooner
WRITTEN TEST MAY 5, 2021
ASSESSMENT CENTER MAY 6, 2021(INTERVIEW PANEL, EMS STATION, TEACHING EXERCISE, PUMPING EXERCISE)
CHIEF'S INTERVIEW MAY 7, 2021
CONDITIONAL JOB OFFER MAY 11, 2021 or sooner
BACKGROUND CHECK MAY 11-JUNE 14, 2021(RECORDS CHECK, PSYCHOLOGICAL & MEDICAL EXAMS, DRUG SCREEN)
FINAL JOB OFFER JUNE 15, 2021
PROJECTED HIRE DATE JULY 1, 2021
- Age: 18
- Education: See Minimum Qualifications
- Experience: See Minimum Qualifications
- Minimum two-year degree in a fire-related field with two years progressively responsible experience in firefighting ++or++ possession of NFPA certifications of Firefighter 2, Pumper/Operator (NFPA Apparatus Equipped w/ Fire Pump), Hazardous Materials Operational Responder, Instructor 1, Wildland Firefighter Type 2
- Two years of progressively responsible experience in firefighting which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above described duties.
- Oregon EMT or National Registry EMT certification
- NFPA Firefighter I certification
- NFPA Driver/Operator certification
- Valid driver's license with a safe driving record.
- Proof of successful completion of the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) within the last 12 months.
- Considerable knowledge of fire suppression and prevention principles and practices; the operation and maintenance of fire apparatus; driving laws and how they relate to emergency vehicle operation; hydraulics; water systems; hydrant locations and familiarity with city streets; emergency medical procedures and extrication; hazardous materials; instructional methods; national incident command system and disaster preparedness; physics, chemistry and mechanics; firefighting hydraulics as applied to fire suppression.
- Associates Degree in Fire Science and/or Paramedicine
- Bachelor's degree in Fire Science or Fire Administration.
- EMT Intermediate, EMT Advanced, or Paramedic
- Pumper Operator (NFPA Apparatus Equipped with Fire Pump)
- NFPA Apparatus Equipped with an Aerial Device
- Wildland Firefighter type 2
- NFPA Firefighter II
- Hazardous Materials Technician
- NFPA Instructor I
- NFPA Fire Officer I
- NFPA Confined Space Rescue
- NFPA Machinery Rescue
- Marine Firefighter I
- Maritime Operator
- Lateral Transfer (Career firefighter experience)
- Five or more years structural firefighter experience (Career or volunteer)
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, visit https://astoria.applicantpool.com/jobs/