Entry Level Firefighter
Firefighter/EMT (Basic or Paramedic)
Athens Fire Department - Athens, Texas
Apr 8, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- May 4, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$40,064 annual
NOTICE TO PUBLIC
Entry-Level Fire Fighter Exam
Beginning salary: $40,064
The City of Athens Fire/Rescue will conduct a written entry exam and physical ability test to
create an eligibility list for the position of Fire Fighter on++ Tuesday, May 11, 2021++.
Written Test will begin at 9:00am Report to the site by 8:50am
Location: The Texan: A Landmark Venue
209 E. Tyler Street- PARKING IS LOCATED IN THE BACK
Athens, Tx 75751
The Physical Ability Test will follow at for all candidates who complete the written exam with a
score of 70 or above beginning at 1:00pm.
Location: Athens Central Fire Department 610 S. Prairieville St.
Athens, Tx 75751
Applicants must meet minimum certification requirements as established by the Texas Commission on
Fire Protection as well as score a minimum of 70% of correct answers on the written exam to be on
the eligibility list. The eligibility list created from the exam will be in effect for 1 year
following the date of the exam.
Interested candidates must complete the Application for Probationary Firefighter and the City of
Athens Application for Employment which can be obtained from City Hall, located at 508 E. Tyler
St., Athens, Texas.++ The completed applications must be submitted by returning to City Hall on or ++
++before Tuesday, May 4, 2021 to be eligible to test.++
On exam day, qualified applicants:
• Must provide a DD-214 to provide eligibility for an additional five (5) points of Military
Service Credit (if applicable).
• Must present a valid form of government issued photo ID, such as a current driver’s license.
• May not bring any electronic devices into the testing room. These items are not permitted.
• Must turn in all materials at the end of the testing period. No testing materials may be
removed from the testing facility.
For more information contact the Human Resources Department at 903-677-6612
Minimum Qualifications for Probationary Firefighter for the City of Athens Fire/Rescue
An applicant for fire fighter shall meet the following criteria to be considered for an entry-level
• Achieve a passing score of at least seventy (70) percent on the written examination;
• Successfully complete the physical ability test (described below);
• Pass a thorough background investigation which includes a polygraph examination;
• Successfully complete an oral interview; and
• Successfully complete a post-job offer psychological examination and medical examination that
includes a visual acuity test and physician certification that the applicant is not dependent on
and does not use illegal drugs;
• Be at least eighteen (18) years of age and not more than thirty-five (35) years of age at the
time of the appointment;
• Have a valid Texas driver’s license at the date of hire; (Must be able to obtain a Class B
Driver’s License from the Texas Department of Public Safety within six (6) months of the date of
• Be a citizen of the United States by birth or naturalization;
• Be able to read, write, and speak the English language;
• Be of good moral character;
• Possess a certification as a basic firefighter, as established by the Texas Commission on
Fire Protection or may become certified at time of appointment. At or before the time of entrance
examination, applicants shall provide either (1) evidence of certification issued by the Texas
Commission on Fire Protection, or (2) evidence of current enrollment in a basic recruit fire
training academy approved by the Texas Commission of Fire Protection; and;
• Possess a certification from the Texas Department of State Health Services (“TDSHS”) as an
EMT-Basic or higher. At or before the time of entrance examination, applicants shall provide either
(1) an EMT Certificate issued by the TDSHS, or (2) evidence of current enrollment in an EMT course
approved by the TDSHS. (This certification will not be allowed to lapse during employment);
• Be a graduate of an accredited High School or have an equivalency certificate.
Physical ability for Athens Fire/Rescue:
All candidates will have to achieve the baseline vitals established by NFPA 1584 guidelines for
clearance to perform the Physical Ability Test.
Blood Pressure: Hear Rate: Pulse
<160 systolic <100 beats per minute >94 percent
Candidates will perform each event while wearing a (firefighter coat - WAIVED), helmet, gloves, and
self-contained breathing apparatus without mask.
Candidates will walk between each station.
Candidates will set down equipment after completing an event. Each Candidate will be allowed 1
minute between each station.
Candidates are encouraged to complete each even regardless of time.
- Age: 18-35
- Education: High School or have an equivalency certificate
- Experience: Entry Level
How to Apply
Interested candidates must complete the Application for Probationary Firefighter and the City of Athens Application for Employment which can be obtained from City Hall, located at 508 E. Tyler St. Athens, Texas, or on the City website, www.athenstx.gov.
Please note the due date for applications: Tuesday May 4th, 2021 by 5:00pm.
The Personal History Statement will need to be turned in after testing.