City of Augusta, GA - Augusta, Georgia
Jan 29, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Mar 5, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $Negoatiable annual
The City of Augusta, GA (pop. 200,000) established in 1736 is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of fire chief. Located on the Georgia/South Carolina border, the city of Augusta, GA lies on the Savannah River, which supports its diverse economic endeavors as well as vast recreation options. The city is the center point of the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA), a 13-county region that includes both Georgia and South Carolina. It is located within close proximity to many major southern destinations including Atlanta, Columbia, and Charlotte. In 1996, the City of Augusta consolidated with Richmond County to form Augusta-Richmond County. This consolidated governing body consists of a Mayor and 10 Commissioners. Augusta is perhaps best known as home of the Masters® Golf Tournament held the first full week in April. The area is also a center for medicine, manufacturing, and Fort Gordon, home to the United States Army Cyber Center of Excellence and host to a multi-service community of Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and multi-national forces.
The Fire Chief/EMA Director (Emergency Management Agency) is responsible for the overall management and leadership of the fire, Emergency Medical Service (EMS), and Community Risk Reduction, specialized emergency responses and support services of the department. With over 125 years of service to the city and region the ISO Class 1 department operates from nineteen (19) fire stations with 346 personnel providing over 20,000 emergency responses annually supported by an annual budget of $32 million. The Fire Chief works closely with Commission members, Administrator and Department Directors, city, and regional partners.
In seeking to fill this position, the City is emphasizing leadership capacity, and the ideal candidate will also possess certain relevant technical expertise. The following list provides the required attributes a candidate must have in order to be successful in working for the City of Augusta:
- An engaging, innovative, collaborative, and experienced fire/EMS professional with demonstrated leadership capacity who also excels in the areas of management, interpersonal communication, emergency management, large-scale incidents, and customer service.
- Strong communicator with a humble confidence and approachability, has the ability to bring fresh ideas to the organization, has a high-level of energy, with a versatile approach to interacting with the community, City officials, staff and other stakeholders.
- A commitment to the organization and the senior management team of the City.
- A person that understands the need for, and how to use, data for problem solving, community risk reduction efforts, and effective communication.
- The ability and desire to coach and mentor staff in order to foster personal growth and leadership talent.
- A degree in fire science, emergency management, emergency medical services or related fields. A master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience and demonstrated leadership in a fire service command position in a department of equal or greater size and responsibility.
- Has the designation of Executive Fire Officer (NFA), Chief Fire Officer (CPSE) or similar certifications.
The salary and benefits for this position are negotiable. The successful candidate must live within the boundaries of August-Richmond County after their acceptance of the position.
- Age: open
- Education: Masters degree preferred
- Experience: Minimum 10 years
How to Apply
Candidates must apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com by March 5, 2021 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of T.E. Sashko, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (224)282-8313. The City of Augusta, GA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.