City of Claremore Firefighter
city of Claremore - Claremore, Oklahoma
Jun 2, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Jul 1, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $37,368 annual
Job Title: Fire Fighter Rookie FLSA: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Department: Fire Reports to: Fire Chief
Salary Range: $37,368
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Under the general supervision of the Fire Chief and protects life and property by performing firefighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials and fire prevention duties. Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities.
This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug testing. Safety sensitive positions must comply to federal regulations where marijuana still remains illegal. Possession of a medical marijuana license does not exempt safety sensitive positions from federal regulations. Should one of these safety sensitive positions test positive on a drug test and lose the ability to perform within the job description outline, the City of Claremore will implement the zero tolerance policy resulting in immediate termination.
· Performs firefighting activities including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, lays and connects hoses, directs water onto burning structures, raises and climbs ladders; uses other firefighting techniques such as ventilating burning buildings (chopping holes in floors and roofs).
· Performs emergency aid activities including administering first aid and providing other assistance as required.
· Participates in fire drills, attends classes in firefighting emergency medical, hazardous materials and related subjects.
· Operates radio and other communication equipment.
· Participates in the inspection of buildings, hydrants and other structures in fire prevention programs.
· Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment.
· Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment; cleans and washes walls and floors; cares for grounds around station; makes minor repairs; washes hoses; washes, cleans, polishes, maintains and tests apparatus and equipment.
· Assists in developing plans for special assignments such as emergency preparedness, hazardous communications, training programs, firefighting, hazardous materials and emergency aid activities.
· Assists in presenting programs to the community on safety, medical and fire prevention topics.
· Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water and removing debris.
· Performs all other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
· Knowledge: None Listed
· Abilities: Come to work on time, follow directions, be honest and dependable, maintain safe work environment, be cooperative, have a positive attitude, be courteous and considerate team member, manage time effectively, concentrate on work, recognize problems and find solutions. Ability to learn the operation of fire suppression and other emergency equipment; Ability to learn standard firefighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials and fire prevention techniques; Ability to perform strenuous or peak physical effort during emergency, training or station maintenance activities for prolonged periods of time under conditions of extreme heights, intense heat, cold or smoke; Ability to act effectively in emergency and stressful situations; Ability to follow verbal and written instructions; Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the general public; Ability to meet the special requirements listed below. Operate both as a member of a team and independently at incidents of uncertain duration.
· Skill: None Listed
· Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, no specific work experience level required.
· Must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older at screening process;
· Must possess, Valid Driver’s License at the time of the screening process and a valid Oklahoma State Driver's License upon hire.
· Be a U.S. citizen.
· Must be able to read and write the English language.
· Must be able to pass City of Claremore screening process.
· Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.
· Possess a current National registry EMT license and or Oklahoma state basic EMT or higher at the screening process. Valid Oklahoma EMT license upon hire.
· Must be able to pass Oklahoma Fire fighter Pension and Retirement system medical and physical examination.
· Possess Fire fighter I certification or obtain within first year of employment.
· Must complete the Claremore Fire Department Recruit training program.
Tools and Equipment:
User manual and power tools in the performance of duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Rely on speech, as well as senses of sight, hearing, smell and touch to help determine the nature of the emergency Make rapid transitions form rest to near maximal exertion without warm up periods. Lift varying weights and carry said weights, without stopping for various distances. Work long periods of time, requiring sustained physical activity and intense concentration. Performing physically demanding work while wearing positive pressure breathing equipment with 1.5 inches of water column resistance to exhalation at a flow of 40 liters per minute. Wear personal protective equipment that weighs approximately 50 pounds while performing tasks.
· Spend extensive time outside exposed to the elements.
· Tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature while performing duties. Must perform physically demanding work in hot (up to 400 degrees), humid (up to 100%) atmospheres while wearing equipment that significantly impairs body cooling mechanisms.
· Experience frequent transition from hot to cold and from humid to dry atmospheres.
· Work in wet, icy or muddy areas.
· Perform a variety of task on slippery, hazardous surfaces such as roof tops or from ladders.
· Work in areas where sustaining traumatic or thermal injuries is possible.
· Face exposure to carcinogenic dusts such as asbestos, toxic substances such as hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide or organic solvents either through inhalation or skin contact.
· Face exposure to infectious agents such as Hepatitis B or HIV.
· Operate in environments of high noise, poor visibility, limited mobility, at heights and in enclosed or confined spaces.
· Perform complex tasks during life threatening emergencies.
· Face life or death decisions during emergency conditions.
· Exposed to grotesque sights and smells associated with major trauma and burn victims.
Apply online at www.claremorecity.com
Position closes on July 1, 2021
- Age: 21-45
- Education: EMT License
- Experience: NA
How to Apply
Apply online at www.claremorecity.com