Cabarrus County Fire Department - Emergency Services - Concord, North Carolina
Nov 20, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $65,665.60 annual
This is position open until filled. The first round of application reviews will begin on 11/30/2020 and continue until the position is filled. This position is subject to close at anytime with or without notice.
Hiring range for this position is $57,616.00 - $65,665.60. Initial placement for new employees is customarily at entry level through 25% percentile. Pay grade for this position is 22.
++General Definition of Work:++
Performs difficult protective service and responsible administrative work overseeing the County's fire prevention activities, investigation and fire response. Work is performed under general supervision of the Emergency Management Director. Supervision is exercised over the Fire Division.
Examples of Duties
Planning, developing and supervising a comprehensive fire prevention program that includes providing plan reviews, fire inspections, arson investigations, public education, training, hazardous materials, fire response and other services and programs; developing and maintaining appropriate records and files.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Responsible for employment, directing, training, evaluating fire service staff and has substantial influence in employment decisions.
- Responsible for ensuring coverage and response of the firefighter unit.
- Ensures minimum required training is conducted on an annual basis for the entire fire division including firefighters.
- Provides direction to county fire service providers concerning service delivery and fire insurance ratings.
- Develops and maintains County fire services contracts including ensuring compliance with state and local ordinances, overseeing service provider budgets, and auditing.
- Gathers and analyzes data related to fire protection services countywide and makes recommendations to County Commissioners on changes to service delivery.
- Serves as the local authority having jurisdiction for fire protection and life safety.
- Enforces the Fire Prevention Code, Building Code, and local ordinances by inspecting occupancies for compliance of minimum code standards and issuing permits, corrective actions warnings, and citations.
- Instructs and reviews the work of subordinates, performing site visits to assist with complex issues.
- Reviews construction plans for approval of minimum fire protection equipment and life safety features.
- Conducts testing of fire protection equipment and construction components for proper operation.
- Conducts and supervises fire scene investigations to determine the cause and origin of fires.
- Implements public education programs to address local safety hazards and mitigation strategies.
- Responds to emergency incidents and supports the officer in charge with coordinating scene activities.
- Compiles and prepares the budget and reports for a variety of fire marshal and firefighter activities.
- Assists the Emergency Management Director as needed. absence.
- Performs work during emergency/disaster situations, serving in command staff position during EOC activations such as Operations Section Chief.
- Assists Risk Management in the design, development and delivery of county safety programs.
- Attends meetings as required or assigned. Performs related tasks as required.
- Developing and maintaining appropriate reports, records and files.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
++Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:++
Thorough knowledge of principles, practices, and methods of emergency response, fire prevention, inspections, investigations, and identifying and eliminating fire hazards; of the fire prevention code, Department of Insurance and ISO regulations, and recommendations for rating of fire protective services; of identification, proper use, and storage requirements of flammable liquids, gases, and hazardous chemicals; of building construction and related electrical wiring and mechanical systems. Knowledge of effective management and supervisory practices. Ability to organize workflow and coordinate activities. Working knowledge of office equipment and computers and applicable software applications. Ability to multi-task, handle emergency situations, solve problems, and make decisions within the scope of responsibility; to prepare detailed reports, interpret and enforce rules and regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially; to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, subordinates, and the general public; and to attend work regularly.
Minimum Education / Experience requirements
++Education and Experience:++
Requires graduation from high school supplemented by formal training in fire prevention methods and techniques and considerable experience in fire prevention, investigation work, and code enforcement. Candidate must have 7 years of experience in the fire service and a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted. Requires possession of level III standard inspection certification in the category of fire issued by the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board. Requires Firefighter certification and NC Hazardous Materials Responder certification from the NC Fire and Rescue Commission.
++Physical Requirements: ++
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, and grasping; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying accurate, detailed, important instructions to others loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for depth and color perception, night and peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or parts, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing surroundings. The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold and heat, noise, hazards, and wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus. The worker may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of North Carolina. Position is a safety-sensitive position as defined by the Drug Free Workplace Policy. Position is essential as defined by the Inclement Weather Plan. Prefer NC Fire Officer I certification from the NC Fire and Rescue Commission, , and Fire/Arson Investigator certification from the NC Fire and Rescue Commission or a nationally recognized investigator certification such as National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI) or International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI).
- Age: na
- Education: SEE JOB POSTING
- Experience: SEE JOB POSTING
++FOR MORE DETAILS AND TO APPLY VISIT:++
How to Apply
++FOR MORE DETAILS AND TO APPLY VISIT:++