Entry Level and Lateral Firefighter Paramedic
Firefighter/EMT (Basic or Paramedic)
City of Corvallis - Corvallis, Oregon
Oct 28, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $Firefighter Salary Range: $5,697.20 - $7,445.90 monthly monthly
Respond to fire, hazardous material, medical emergency and non-emergency calls. Perform fire suppression, fire prevention, public education, and hazardous material spill control duties. Perform basic or advanced emergency medical care and rescue, depending on EMT certification level. Maintain documentation relative to patient incident and treatment. Perform as trained, following Departmental guidelines, making appropriate decisions, and communicating effectively in stressful situations. These tasks are illustrative only and may include other related duties.
Responds to emergency fire, hazardous material, rescue, and medical alarm calls as a member of assigned Fire/Rescue/EMS Team.
Operates safely and competently all firefighting, hazardous material, and emergency vehicles and apparatus, and any specialized technical equipment required of the position.
Performs fire suppression and hazardous material recognition, identification, spill control, rescue, and emergency medical duties.
Prepares pre-hospital care and case documentation. Maintains required records and reports. Performs to level of EMT certification.
Maintains drug and supply inventory, ensuring adherence to legal controls on narcotics.
Cleans, maintains, tests and inspects fire and EMS equipment, apparatus, and fire hydrants. Cleans and maintains vehicles, fire station, and property. Performs minor/routine repairs as needed.
Inspects properties for fire and life safety hazards and Uniform Fire Code violations; documents and recommends corrective action to property owners.
Participates in training and in pre-fire planning activities, provides training to other agencies when directed, and provides feedback to surrounding departments regarding calls.
May lead special programs as assigned, such as radio maintenance, hose maintenance, ladder maintenance, etc. Performs public education and other non‑emergency public services.
Provides leadership and coordinates medical care at medical emergency scenes if certified as a State of Oregon Paramedic, with full standing orders.
Acts ethically and honestly; applies ethical standards of behavior to daily work activities and interactions. Builds confidence in the City through your actions.
Operates and drives vehicles and/or equipment safely and legally.
Delivers excellent customer service to diverse audiences.
Maintains effective work relationships.
Adheres to all City and Department policies.
Arrives to work, meetings, and other work-related functions on time and maintains regular job attendance.
++Entry Level Applicants:++
· Must complete the FireTEAM examination and Public Safety Self Assessment (PSSA) administered by National Testing Network (NTN). www.nationaltestingnetwork.com
++Lateral Firefighter Applicants:++
· Do not need to complete NTN testing.
· Has worked full-time as a career firefighter for 2 years.
· Must be a current licensed State of Oregon EMT-Advanced or higher, or is registered with the National Registry and is eligible for State of Oregon reciprocity. Must obtain State of Oregon Paramedic Licensure by end of probation.
· Is already certified as NFPA Firefighter I or equivalent.
· Start at pay step consistent with years of experience with approval of Fire Chief.
· Placement on the vacation accrual scale consistent with years served.
· Credited with up-front sick leave of 72 hours and vacation of 120 hours.
· Shorter probationary period of 9 months with an 8 week lateral fire academy.
· Certification pay granted upon start date. To maintain, must obtain full standing orders during probationary period.
Position will be open until filled. Initial review of applications and exams will occur after 5pm on November 21, 2022. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Firefighter Salary Range: $5,697.20 - $7,445.90 monthly
Paramedic Certification Pay: $819.05 monthly
Full-Time, IAFF Represented Position
- Age: 18
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience: Formal education in firefighting techniques, hazardous materials, emergency services and/or specialized training or job-related field preferred.