Garden City fire Department - Garden City, Kansas
Apr 6, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- May 3, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$37,564.80 - $47,652.80 annual
Responds to fire alarms and other emergency calls, trains with and operates firefighting equipment, participates in fire prevention programs, fire suppression activities, public education, hazardous materials, station maintenance, and training activities. Receives direction from and reports to a Company Officer or Acting Company Officer, Lieutenant, Battalion Chief or Acting Battalion Chief, Fire Marshal, or the Fire Chief.
Examples of Duties
- Responds to alarms and assists in the suppression of fires, including rescues, entry, and ventilation salvage work, Haz-Mat, and other customer service calls.
- Operates equipment as required.
- Performs cleanup and overhaul work, checks equipment for ready to respond status.
- Assists in maintaining fire apparatus, equipment, fire stations, and grounds.
- Assists in fire investigation as required.
- Participates in continued training and instruction programs by individual study of technical matters, attends scheduled drills and classes relating to firefighting techniques, hazardous materials, first aid, and emergency medical treatment.
- Tests hose; performs hydrant inspections and tests.
- Participates in company fire inspections, public education function.
- Performs other related work as required or assigned.
- In absence of a supervisor, may be assigned responsibilities on an out-of-class basis.
Equipment/Tools Used: Various Motor Vehicles, rescue tools, Computer, SCBA Compressor, Fire Apparatus, Ladders, Fire Equipment, Medical Equipment, Radio, Protective Gear, Breathing Apparatus, Saws, Generators & Fans, HAZMAT Equipment, General Office Equipment
Physical Characteristics: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, talk, read or hear; use hands to finger, handle or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in the office, vehicle, and outdoor settings. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places. Work is often performed in emergency and stressful situations. The employee is often exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, high noise level,s and hazards associated with fighting fires and rendering emergency medical assistance, including smoke, noxious odors, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, blood-borne pathogens and vibration.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Ability to operate large and heavy automotive equipment. Ability and physical strength to work under pressure in emergency situations and maintain good physical condition. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with city employees, officials, and the general public.
- Age: -
- Education: Firefighter I certification High school diploma or GED Fire Science Degree or closely related field Preferred. Valid Class B driver’s license within one year of employment.
- Experience: -
How to Apply