Montana Highway Patrol Dispatcher
Montana Department of Justice - Helena, Montana
Apr 21, 2023
- Application Deadline:
- Nov 30, 2023
- Entry Level:
- $21.05 hourly
The FULL TIME or SeCOND career you wanted is here!
The Montana Highway Patrol Communications Center provides law enforcement communications services for the Highway Patrol Division troopers, Department of Justice employees, and numerous other state agencies.
Communication system operators (dispatchers) staff the centers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and provide the emergency communication services required to provide public safety.
This recruitment is for the remainder of 2023!
** Salary: From $21.05 per hour **
- Emergency and incident dispatching: receives and documents motor vehicle crashes and other emergency incident information; dispatches crash/incident information to appropriate trooper(s); enters information into the Criminal Justice Information Network (CJIN).
- Criminal Justice Information Network (CJIN) Maintenance: Receives and responds to hardware and software problem reports and provides requested assistance.
- CJIN Operations: Communicates via telecommunications with user agencies to assist in message formats.
- Other duties as assigned: performs a variety of other duties as assigned in support of the agency mission and objectives.
Dispatchers speak with highly emotionally charged, mentally impaired and unstable individuals and must be able to tolerate a high degree of stress and remain calm under emotional emergency conditions.
The position is sedentary in nature with long periods of sitting or standing in a confined work area; however, dispatchers are required to perform some light lifting, stooping, and bending duties in the process of working with files and performing routine office duties.
Dispatchers work varied shifts, from days to nights and work holidays and weekends.
The minimum qualifications for this position include:
- High school diploma or a state-issued equivalency diploma
- No prior work experience required.
- Successful candidates will be required to pass a panel interview, CritiCall test, background, and hearing test during the selection process.
- Must be a United States citizen (MCA 7-31-202).
The position requires the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- Operate a computer terminal and peripheral equipment; multi-line phone system.
- Actively listen and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Multi-task and process information quickly.
- Document information accurately being reported by phone, radio, in person and by other technology.
- Disseminate information accurately and precisely in person, by radio, by phone and other technology.
Below is additional preferred knowledge:
- Knowledge of Telephone Device for Deaf (TDD)
- Knowledge in the use of police-two way radio dispatching equipment
- Criminal Justice Information Network (CJIN), National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and National Law Enforcement Telecommunication System (NLETS) experience
- Age: 18
- Education: High school diploma or a state-issued equivalency diploma
- Experience: No prior work experience required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Continuous application screening will begin on a bi-weekly basis.
For applicants passing the initial screening, we anticipate the testing/interview sessions to be conducted the following dates: March 14, May 2, July 11, September 12.
AMAZING State of Montana benefits:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Public Employee's Retirement System (PERS) plan choices - Defined Benefit or Defined Contribution
- Additional 457b Deferred Compensation plan
- Generous paid vacation, sick and holidays
- Pre-tax Flexibility Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- State of Montana employment may qualify for student loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program.
Closing Date (based on your computer's time zone): ONGOING
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, you must attach a résumé at the time of application.
Tip: When attaching your resume, you must mark the attachment as a “Relevant File.”
Your Résumé: Please include all work experience as well as job duties that demonstrate your qualifications for this position. Include dates of employment (month & year- start & end) and the reason you left each job.
Click on this link: https://mtstatejobs.taleo.net/careersection/200/jobdetail.ftl?job=23140516&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=America%2FDenver