Chief Building Official
city of kingman - Kingman, Arizona
Sep 2, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Oct 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$79,479.00 - $104,658.00 annual
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging career that utilizes your skills to serve our community? The City of Kingman Fire Department is accepting applications from dedicated, team oriented individuals to fill the position of Chief Building Official.
The selected candidate will lead the City's Plans Examining and Building Inspection Division of Community Development with Safety, Teamwork and Customer Service at the forefront. This position is critical to business and residential development throughout the City of Kingman in providing a wide range of services to local businesses, homeowners, contractors and developers.
Working at the City means being part of an exceptional team of professionals committed to being Ideal Team Players and upholding our mission, vision and values.
Salary is open based on qualifications of selected candidate.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Actively support and uphold the City’s mission, vision and values while overseeing and managing building inspections, permit administration, complex and professional planning and zoning work for the Planning Division. The incumbent is responsible for establishing and maintaining a team of trained, competent technical staff, who excel at providing excellent customer service; provides advice and support to the Department and City Manager in the area of building codes, build environment and planning. An important aspect of this position is the administrative nature and the responsibility for the day-to-day functioning of reviewing private development proposals, building code enforcement procedures, assuring timely permitting of construction projects, providing complex code interpretations, and establishing consistently accurate interpretation of ordinance to the general public and project applicants. The incumbent exercises a high degree of independence and initiative in complex work assignments and priorities.
Work is performed independently under the general supervision of the Fire Chief, who reviews work through performance reviews and conferences.
Exercises supervision over the planning services manager, building inspectors, plans examiners, permit technician and other staff as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications/Special Requirements
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in building technology, land-use/urban planning, landscape architecture, engineering, construction management, public administration, or a related field;
- Five (5) years in building inspection, plan review, construction management or related experience, with three (3) years progressively responsible supervisory experience; or
- Experience in a municipal or government setting desired
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Must possess a valid Arizona State driver’s license or have ability to obtain one prior to employment.
- ICC certification as a Building Official.
- ICC certification in plan review.
- Pursue continuing education, training, certifications and experience to support, maintain and enhance the possession of Building Official.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it.
- Manages by planning, prioritizing, assigning, supervising and reviewing the work of personnel involved in building and planning activities.
- Implements division goals, policies and procedures, preparing reports of operations and activities, evaluating operations and activities of assigned responsibilities and streamlines processes to increase service levels and determine appropriate fee schedules.
- Plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; Supervises, directs and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work; Counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals; Reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Reviews current trends and developments in the field of construction, and prepares revisions to codes, ordinances and local regulations.
- Confers with architects, engineers, contractors, and property owners regarding review of plans and interpretation of building codes; Examines blueprints to assure plans conform to the building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing codes, and zoning ordinances.
- Researches problems and complaints regarding commercial and residential buildings, building construction and code compliance.
- Provides consultation Fire Chief and City Manager on building code administration and enforcement issues; Serves on Boards and Committees; Attends and represents the City at hearings and inter-agency meetings and various local, State and professional organizations.
- Presents oral and written reports as requested to city agencies and the city council, development and construction interest groups, other interested parties and groups, and the public.
- Prepares technical reports and correspondence; Recommends and implements new processes; Tests and provides guidance on new or improved processes;
- Coordinates with fire prevention personnel to enforce the maintenance of fire resistive construction and panic hardware regulations.
- Assures that City codes, policies and procedures are followed and equitably enforced.
- Coordinates large and complex construction projects, interprets building codes, consults with clients, and negotiates solutions for technical conflicts and deadlines.
- Evaluates and analyzes technical issues, and recommends solutions; Interprets, applies and explains codes and regulations; Represents the City at Public Boards and meetings.
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external contacts.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
- Establishes and maintains effective and supportive relationships by demonstrating courteous, professional and cooperative behavior; promotes the City goals and priorities in a positive manner.
- Protects privileged and/or confidential information.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with the City policies and procedures; follows safety policies and practices, works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the Board of Appeals, maintaining written transcripts of all meetings, facilitating meetings, providing required information, etc.
- Serves as a member of various employee committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Provides back-up to the other related positions in Building/Planning Division.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of principles, procedures, materials, and standard practices of building construction, including stages when inspections to detect violations and defects are most easily observed and corrected; City and other applicable building and construction codes, including but not limited to, structural, plumbing, heating, mechanical, fire safety, health, and other applicable codes.
- Methods, procedures and techniques for evaluating technical compliance.
- Considerable knowledge of standard practices and procedures for plan, permit, and license application review, evaluation, and approval, including documentation and fee collection.
- Principles and methods of recordkeeping and records management.
- Interpreting and applying statutes, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations; Interpreting building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and zoning regulations, and comparing them with engineering drawings, plans and specifications.
- Ability to accurately read and interpret legal and property descriptions, ordinance and code documents, technical and instructional documents, and building plans, blueprints, and diagrams; Relate plans, diagrams, and blueprints to projects in various stages of construction and completion.
- Communicates effectively and establish and maintain working relationships with other employees, the public, developers and builders, customers, applicants, property owners, and other interested and affected parties, including in difficult and sometimes adversarial circumstances.
- Use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Wear OSHA required personal protective equipment; Bend or stoop repeatedly or continually while performing inspections.
COMMITMENT TO SAFETY AND WELLNESS
It is the policy of the City of Kingman to ensure a safe, healthful workplace for all its employees. It requires that every person in the organization assumes the responsibility of individual and organizational safety. Injury and illness losses from incidents are costly and preventable.
This position is accountable for preventing workplace incidents, injuries and illnesses. Must provide top-level support of safety program and wellness initiatives. This position will consider all employee suggestions for achieving a safer, healthier workplace. Will also keep informed about workplace safety and health hazards, and will regularly review the company safety and wellness program. See Physical Demands.
The work environment characteristics attached to the job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. See Physical Demands.
DISCLAIMER The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the position changes.
- Age: n/a
- Education: Bachelors
- Experience: 3-5
How to Apply