Firefighter/EMT (Basic or Paramedic)
Truro Fire Department - , Massachusetts
Jan 4, 2023
- Application Deadline:
- Apr 2, 2023
- Entry Level:
- $$30.41-$39.68 hourly
This is a skilled position in which the individual will be required to fight fires and respond to emergency scenes for the purposes of protecting life and property. A Firefighter/Paramedic will respond to medical emergencies and provide pre-hospital Advanced Life Support care to victims of injury or illness. A Firefighter/Paramedic is ordinarily the highest medical authority at an emergency medical scene and as such, makes medical decisions based on standing orders, protocols, and orders from the online and offline medical direction. While acting as Paramedic, has access to confidential, personal, and medical information and in providing appropriate patient care to their level of certification. Errors could result in improper disclosure of confidential information, personal injury, loss of life, and property damage, could have legal and financial repercussions, and/or cause adverse public relations.
Essential Functions of Job:
• Respond to medical emergencies and provide pre-hospital Advanced Life Support care to victims of injury or illness. Regularly serves as the highest medical authority at an emergency medical scene and as such, makes medical decisions based on standing orders, protocols, and orders from the online and offline medical direction.
• Performs complex diagnostic and medical procedures including, but not limited to, intravenous cannulation, endotracheal intubation, recognition of cardiac arrhythmias, and administration of various medications.
• Responds to emergency scenes to protect life and property; performs administrative tasks, and maintains fire station and equipment up to established standards of the Department.
• Dons protective turnout gear and equipment before and at emergency scenes and proceeds to assigned apparatus upon receipt of the call for service.
• Stands watch to receive incoming alarms and information, answers phones, and monitors access to the station house.
• Provides alarm communiqué to equipment operators/officers.
• Drives apparatus to and from, and positions apparatus at, emergency scene Page 2 of 3 Truro, MA Firefighter/ Paramedic FLSA-Non-Exempt.
• Connects or hooks up apparatus to fire hydrant and operates pumps to supply water in appropriate pressure and volume -- using hydrant wrenches, couplings, hoses, spanner wrenches, and other tools.
• Operates nozzle at front of hose line and sprays water, foam, or other agents onto the fire orother hazard, or into the involved structure, to extinguish, contain and/or control incident.
• Advance or assist in advancing the hose to the seat of the fire or other hazards.
• Stabilizes ladder trucks and elevates and operates aerial ladders and platforms to rescue victims, provides access for ventilation, operates master stream devices, etc.
• Climbs mechanical ladders to perform a search, rescue, and other operations.
• Operates ladder from ground controls or from platform controls, while watching for power lines, trees, and other overhead obstructions.
• Pries open, cuts, or breaks down doors, or otherwise enters structures, vehicles, aircraft, and other entrapments to search for and rescue victims and provide access to the emergency scene.
• Opens or breaks windows, chops or cuts holes in roofs, breaches walls or doors, and hangs fans in windows or doors to remove heat, smoke, and/or gas from structures or entrapments.
• Searches assigned areas in order to locate victims and obtain further information about the incident, following standard search procedures.
• Assists, hoists, carries, or drags victims from the emergency area by means of interior access (stairs, hallways, etc.) or, if necessary, by ladders, fire escapes, platforms, or other means of escape – using rescue harnesses, ropes, etc.
• Administers CPR if necessary.
• Assists EMS personnel in administering medical treatment.
• Inspects buildings for fire prevention/hazardous materials code violations or hazards on a periodic basis or during their activities; inspects alarms, hydrants, sprinkler systems, etc.
• Checks, cleans, and maintains personal gear and equipment to ensure proper and safe operation.
• Checks, cleans, and maintains apparatus to ensure proper and safe operation.
• Checks, cleans, and maintains house facilities, including the performance, or assignment, of routine housekeeping chores.
visit https://www.truro-ma.gov/jobs for full job description
Truro Fire is a rural full time Fire department. Averaging 1050 calls a year between EMS and Fire calls, covering 21 square miles. Current staffing is 8 full time members with job openings for 4 more right now, with more in the future. Truro Fire has 2 ALS ambulances, 2 Engines, 1 Urban interface truck, 1 tender, 1 boat, and 1 thermal drone. Shifts are 24hr rotating shifts, 24 hrs on 48 hrs off, 24 hrs on, 96 hours off. This is a union job.
$3000 dollar sign on bonus
*_Bonus Fine Print: *__The bonus will be awarded as a stipend in the amount of $3,000 and shall be paid in three (3) installments: $1,000 will be paid in the pay period following the employee’s date of hire; $1,000 will be paid in the pay period following the successful completion of the sixth month of probation; and $1,000 will be paid upon successful completion of the one-year probationary period._
- Age: N/A
- Education: High school Diploma or G.E.D., EMT (paramedic preferred), Firefighter I/II Pro board preferred
- Experience: Preferred but not required
• High School diploma or G.E.D.
*NREMT Basic minimum Paramedic preferred.
• Valid Massachusetts Driver’s License, and satisfactory driving record, required.
• Must successfully complete the probationary period as a Firefighter including successful completion of the Massachusetts Career Recruit Firefighter Training Program at the Massachusetts Fire Academy in Stow, MA, and obtain National Pro Board Firefighter I and II certification within the one-year probationary period.
• Must have and continue to maintain licensure (at the highest level achieved) as a Massachusetts/ Nationally Registered Paramedic certification.
• Ability to meet Departmental Physical Standards and initial medical standards contained in MGL Chapter 31 Section 61A standard for Firefighter health and physical standards.
Candidates who are enrolled in a Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the EMS Profession (CoAEMSP) accredited and Massachusetts-approved Paramedic Initial Education program are eligible to apply while they await their NREMT written examination and the NREMT psychomotor examination. Successful completion of the NREMT written examination and the NREMT psychomotor examination is required within the first 12 months of employment.
How to Apply
visit https://www.truro-ma.gov/jobs for the full job description
To download the Town of Truro Employment application
Applications and copies of certifications requested must be submitted to email@example.com or by mail: Truro Town Hall, PO Box 2030, Truro, MA 02666 by the deadlines indicated.
++Please note: (unless otherwise specified) applications are considered incomplete unless the++ Town of Truro Employment Application ++is completed.++ Truro is an EOE.