Fire Fighter/Fire Fighter Paramedic
Firefighter/EMT (Basic or Paramedic)
Sioux City Fire Department - Sioux City, Iowa
Sep 1, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Oct 2, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $$19.03 - $27.30 hourly
Engages directly in firefighting, rescue and fire prevention activities; drives and operates fire equipment; assists in the maintenance repair of fire station and equipment. Must be 18 years of age, and not older than 38 by October 2, 2020. Must be able to pass a written, eye, hearing, back x-ray, physical agility, drug and alcohol screening, oral and psychological examinations. Good moral character, never been convicted of a felony. Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, and possess an EMT Certificate at the time of a conditional offer by the Fire Chief. Must be able to secure an Iowa Drivers' License at time of appointment.
For additional information and rules please view the Sioux City Fire Rescue Brochure.
- Works an assigned tour of duty at a fire station and responds with fire department apparatus to the scenes of emergencies.
- Promptly and efficiently executes directives or orders issued by supervisors.
- Performs rescue and evacuation of persons from structures and other life-threatening situations.
- Performs hazardous tasks in emergency conditions.
- Provides emergency medical treatment to sick and injured persons.
- Engages in firefighting activities such as operating a fire apparatus at hydrant and at draft, handle hose lines for fire suppression, make or create openings in roofs and floors for ventilation, perform salvage and overhaul operations, and raise and/or climb fire ladders.
- Drives, maintains and operates fire apparatus and other fire department vehicles.
- Serves temporarily in the capacity of a company commander in his/her absence.
- Inspects the condition of apparatus daily and services motorized apparatus as directed.
- Performs a wide variety of routine tasks in connection with the maintenance of a fire station and grounds.
- Cleans, maintains and makes minor repairs to firefighting equipment, tools and appliances.
- Prepares, conducts and participates in training programs as directed.
- Inspects properties and facilities within an assigned district for fire hazards and assists in educating the public in fire safety.
- Performs routine maintenance (above ground) on fire hydrants to ensure proper operation.
- Keeps records and makes reports.
- Enters and updates data on computers.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance and working hours.
- Regularly lifts and/or moves up to 30 pounds and occasionally lifts up to 100 pounds.
- Expected to temporarily perform duties outside of normal classification in the event of a declared emergency. In the event that an employee is excused from work other than being sick, they will be required to report to work in a state of declared emergency.
- Age: 18
- Education: GED
- Experience: none required
How to Apply