Firefighter; Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, FL
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue - Tampa, Florida
Sep 21, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Oct 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$52,161.60 annual
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue is currently hiring for Firefighter. This position requires FireTEAM testing and a valid CPAT.
1) Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs. Apply Online. 2) If you choose to use the paper application, you will be required to complete a separate paper application, from scratch, for each job. To request a paper application and SQ by mail, please contact the Civil Service Office at 813-272-5625.
Salary Information: $52,161.60/year
Benefit Information: Excellent health insurance plan options; paid vacation and sick leave; 24/48 shift with 3 week R-day, Florida Retirement System (3% multiplier); tuition reimbursement; short and long term disability, and much more.
Department Overview: Hillsborough County Fire Rescue provides fire suppression and emergency medical services for the unincorporated areas of Hillsborough County. From its beginnings in the 1950s as an all-volunteer force, HCFR has seen many changes. Since hiring our first full-time career firefighters in 1973, the department has steadily evolved into one the largest, most progressive departments in the state, answering more than 100,000 calls for service per year.
City Information: Hillsborough County covers more than 1,200 square miles of urban, suburban, and rural areas with a diverse population of more than 1.2 million. The cities of Tampa, Temple Terrace and Plant City are within the county. We have 160 miles of coastline; lakes, rivers, professional sports, and a wide variety of activities for any interests. Hot summers give way to mild winters and beautiful weather for the rest of the year.
Required Skill Set
High School Grad/GED : Graduation from high school or possession of a GED CertificateValid FLORIDA State Driver's License : Yes, Valid Florida Driver LicenseAbility to Read/Speak English : YesVision : As required in NFPA 1582Introduction : Hillsborough County Government is looking for new members to join our team who are aligned with our core values of commitment to excellence; stellar customer service; and embracing diversity, transparency, and accountability. Our employees enjoy careers that are professionally and personally rewarding and that provide fair and reliable compensation. Learn more about Hillsborough County, www.hillsboroughcounty.org, or read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team.Minimum Qualifications : Note: Minimum Qualifications MUST be attained before the recruitment ending date.
- Possession of a valid State of Florida Firefighter's Certificate of Compliance; and
- Possession of a valid State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician certification; and
- Must have a valid Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) through 09/01/2019; and Must have valid National Testing Network (NTN) Fire Team Test through 09/01/2019.
Probation : Employees assigned to this classification will serve a one year probationary period.Job Description : MAJOR FUNCTIONPerforms fire rescue duties combating, extinguishing, and preventing various types of fires and basic life support emergency medical duties in treating illnesses or injuries. DISTINGUISHING FEATURESEmployees in this class perform duties of more than average difficulty requiring reasonable initiative and independent judgment under general supervision. MAJOR DUTIESNote: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Responds to fire alarms and performs search, rescue and fire suppression operations to combat fires.
- Operates hand and power tools to ventilate structures; positions and climbs ladders; pulls hoses from truck bed and connects to hydrant and pump apparatus; operates water charged hose lines of various sizes to combat fires.
- Performs salvage and overhaul operations to minimize damage.
- Provides emergency medical care within limits established by standard operating procedures and protocols.
- Assists paramedic in providing patient treatment and medical procedures.
- Provides verbal, written and computer reports pertaining to condition and care of patients at emergency scenes and in transit as required.
- Safely and efficiently operates emergency response vehicles.
- Conducts pre-fire planning of commercial buildings, hospitals, schools and other buildings.
- Performs maintenance on department equipment, grounds, furnishings or structures.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIESWorking knowledge of fire fighting and search and rescue methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations governing emergency vehicle operations.
- Working knowledge of safe driving techniques for emergency vehicles.
- Working knowledge of fire fighting and hazardous materials terminology.
- Working knowledge of characteristics of fire.
- Working knowledge of standard fire fighting and rescue tools and equipment and their correct use.
- Working knowledge of roads, streets, hospitals, schools, and other facilities within response area.
- Working knowledge of proper lifting techniques.
- Working knowledge of the functions, services, procedures and regulations of the unit to which assigned.
- Working knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Some knowledge of diseases and emergency medical conditions, their diagnosis, and appropriate treatment procedures.
- Some knowledge of equipment used for patient care such as defibrillators and vital signs monitors.
- Some knowledge of building construction as it relates to fire behavior and fire suppression and control.
- Skill in the use and care of hand tools and equipment.
- Ability to identify patient conditions based on signs and symptoms.
- Ability to identify mechanical failures of equipment.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to lift and carry weights up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to perform duties under hazardous conditions requiring considerable physical exertion.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability and willingness to perform housekeeping activities.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Ability to maintain combat firefighter readiness status.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
SPECIAL NOTE: Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Reserve Responders will be given preference.Conclusion : VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Preference will ONLY be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation to support entitlement to preference MUST be provided at the time of application. DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of Hillsborough County have implemented a drug-free workplace and all offers of employment are conditioned on job applicants successfully passing a drug and Nicotine test. NOTE: Individuals hired will be required to review Hillsborough County driving eligibility criteria and acknowledge their understanding of its provisions. NOTE: Employees are required to participate in the response/recovery activities related to emergencies/disasters affecting the County. They are required to work in their normal job duties or other activities within their skills and capabilities. Proper compensation will be made in accordance with existing rules and procedures. EXAMINATION: Applicants will be competitively rated on the basis of their training and experience.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Grad/GED
- Experience: No experience necessary
National Testing Network Support
How to Apply
Schedule Your Test:
Go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com
Search for jobs by profession: Firefighter Jobs
Select all the agencies you wish to apply for
Schedule a Test at an NTN center or via Virtual Testing
National Testing Network Support