West Haven, Allingtown - Firefighter
Firefighter/EMT (Basic or Paramedic)
City of West Haven Fire Department Allingtown - West Haven, Connecticut
Jun 16, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Jul 10, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $948.40 annual
Firefighters-Grade C Firefighter/Paramedic or Firefighter/EMT
Open competitive examination for ++Grade C Firefighter/Paramedic or Firefighter/EMT++ in the City of West Haven Fire Deptartment Allingtown. Starting salary is $948.40 per week, medical benefits and 401K,
Applications are available @Firefighterapp.com starting June 15, 2020 and must be be received on or before July 10, 2020, by 4 p.m.
DATE OF WRITTEN EXAM:
Saturday, July 18, 2020, 9:00 a.m., at University of New Haven, 300 Boston Post Road, West Haven, CT 06516. The exact campus location for the test will be sent once the application period has closed.
The Department reserves the right to limit the number of candidates invited to participate in the Oral Board Interview examination based on number of applicants who pass the written exam.
This is a non –supervisory position for the protection of life and property through the prevention and extinguishment of fires. Employees are responsible for performing fire suppression, fire prevention, EMS work and operation of fire equipment and apparatus. This candidate at the time of hire will have active Paramedic or EMT certification, maintaining medical control through New Haven Sponsor Hospital and National Registry certification for 20 years of service. Work is performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations, policies and procedures and follows instruction from supervisors. Duties also include maintenance of fire service equipment, apparatus, and fire station quarters. Inspections of structures and engaging in fire prevention. Works a rotating shift, including days, nights, weekends, and holidays. Learn to work under the supervision and direction of all shift commanders.
Perform life safety duties associated with being a State of CT certified Paramedic or EMT. Firefighter will participate in regular, on the job training and practical drills. Must attend all CME's, PALS, ACLS, EPC, PHTLS, Skill sessions, refreshers, etc, which are given by New Haven Sponsor Hospital and maintain their own record.
COMPONENTS OF TESTING:
- Written test – Candidates must obtain a minimum score of 70 (Written portion is worth 70%) The Department reserves the right to limit the number of candidates invited to participate in the Oral Board Interview examination based on number of applicants who pass the written exam.
- Interview with the Board of Fire Commissioners - Candidates must obtain a minimum score of 70 (Interview is worth 30%) The Department reserves the right to limit the number of candidates invited to participate in the Oral Board Interview examination based on number of applicants who pass the written exam.
- Physical exam - scheduled by the Fire Department
- Body fat test - scheduled by the Fire Department
- A Paramedic will be picked first from the list.
- Must have a valid CPAT certificate at offer of employment. Such certification shall not be dated more than 1 year prior to the offer.
- Upon certification pf an eligibility list, such list shall be in effect for twelve (12) months and at the discretion of the City of West Haven Fire Department Allingtown Board of Fire Commissioners the eligibility list may be extended in six (6) month increments up to four times based on the district's hiring needs. Any candidates on prior City of West Haven Fire Department Allingtown lists must submit a new application with the proper documents.
- Candidates that are successful in the application and testing process need to be aware that hiring may take place as soon as August 2020 for the start of the Connecticut Fire Academy Recruit Training Class. Upon hire, you shall attend Connecticut Fire Academy or equivalent and have successful completion.
The City of West Haven Fire Department - Allingtown is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please direct questions regarding this position to MEsposito@cityofwesthavenfd.org
Jobs close at 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the deadline date specified, or when the position capacity has been met, or unless otherwise specified in the announcement. If the deadline date is not specified in the announcement, the agency has sole discretion on setting the deadline and jobs may close without notice. It is the applicant's responsibility to thoroughly read and understand the deadline requirements and capacity limits as outlined by the agency.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: Grade C Firefighter/Paramedic or Firefighter/EMT
*KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY: *
A good social and general intelligence; ability to follow written and oral instructions; ability to learn fire prevention and firefighting routines; ability to think quickly and effectively in emergencies; good mechanical aptitude; mental alertness. Must be able to learn and drive any applicable apparatus within the fire department. Must obtain a 2Q State of CT drivers license before completion of probationary period and maintain license while employed as a firefighter. No appointment to the position of firefighter shall be deemed final and permanent until the expiration of the probationary period.
Candidate must have either a high school diploma or a G.E.D.
Applicants must, at the time of said examination, have reached their 21st birthday, and be in good physical condition with weight in proportion to height, to include physical fitness profile that meets the below listed requirements. Body Composition:
- Male Body fat not to exceed 20% of net weight
- Female Body fat not to exceed 26% of net weight
Applicants shall be weighed accordingly, immediately before appointment to conform to the above. Applicants shall submit to a complete medical examination, the scope and contents to be determined by the City of West Haven Fire Department Allingtown. Applicants must also sign an agreement that they will not participate in the purchase, usage, or sale of any illegal drugs or narcotics. They will not use any tobacco products at all including chew during the tenure of their employment. Applicants will have the usage of computers and they shall abide by the rules of the computer use policy.
CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENCE:
Applicants must be a citizen of the United States and upon employment reside in the City of West Haven or within 25 miles of the City of West Haven limits.
*GENERAL INFORMATION: *
There will be an Applications fee of $95.00 which is non-refundable along with the following:
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of valid CT drivers license
- Copy of certifications pertaining to firefighting
- Copy of Paramedic or EMT, CT certification only
- Three written references
- CPAT certification desired but not required for the exam. Valid certification is required for an offer of employment.
- All candidates will be subject to a complete background check, before being hired and the candidate shall be asked to sign any appropriate documents. Falsifying documents will result in disqualification.
- No candidate will be considered for hire with any felony record history
- City of West Haven Fire Department - Allingtown has contracted with McCann Associates for the written portion of the exam. You can pick up a guide to familiarize yourself with our question formats and test instructions @ www.mccanntesting.com and follow the link to Resource Center.
How to Apply
Apply through FirefighterApp.com: https://bit.ly/2AJMbC6