Firefighter / EMT
Firefighter/EMT (Basic or Paramedic)
York Area United Fire & Rescue - York, Pennsylvania
Oct 12, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Nov 8, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $· Starting Pay Range $40,974 - $41,103 Increasing to $49,761 After Two Years annual
Position consists of but is not necessarily limited to firefighting and operation of all firefighting apparatus and equipment. Incumbents are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of firefighting apparatus en-route to/from and at the scene of all fire department incidents, and for participating in firefighting and life saving activities, including but not limited to, automated external defibrillator (AED) and other Emergency Medical Services (EMS) responses. Additional responsibilities involve fire prevention, inspections and preplans, protection, education, inspection and maintaining equipment and facilities. General and specific instructions and assistance are provided from superior officers.
- Perform firefighting duties; use fire extinguishers, bars, hooks, lines and other equipment; ventilates burning buildings, remove persons from danger; applies salvage covers and removes debris.
- Connect hose lines to hydrants or tank trucks, operate pump to high-pressure hoses and position ladders as necessary for fire department incidents.
- Drives and operates all types of firefighting vehicles and equipment.
- Participates in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and rescue work.
- Checks and cleans equipment after returning from a fire department incident.
- Checks firefighting equipment daily to ensure apparatus is in good working condition.
- Sets up and participates in fire prevention programs.
- Prepares written reports as required.
- Assist in keeping fire station in a clean and orderly condition.
- Complies with all policies of the Department.
- Performs other assignments as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of fire prevention and fire safety matters.
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of firefighting equipment and their use in firefighting control.
- Knowledge of the nature and behavior of fire, methods to combat fire, characteristics of various materials during combustion and the effect of extinguishing agents on various types of fires.
- Knowledge of rescue operation techniques, procedures and practices.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to make timely and accurate decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with associates and the general public.
- Ability to read and write in English.
· Starting Pay Range $40,974 - $41,103 Increasing to $49,761 After Two Years
· Paid Holidays
· Cash Balance Retirement Program Receiving a 12% Employer Contribution
· No Experience Necessary
· 24 Hours On Duty / 48 Hours Off Duty Schedule (With 9 Kelly days)
· Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
No Academy for Candidates with Firefighter I and PA EMT, Firefighter II Required Within One Year
- Age: 18
- Education: High School Diploma / GED
- Experience: None Required
Pennsylvania Driver's License
How to Apply
Visit our website for more information on our recruiting process: