Tenn. refinery worker dies after chemical exposure
Two firefighters and one worker were also injured in the incident
By Adrian Sainz
The Associated Press
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — An oil refinery worker has died after being exposed to propane and acid at a Valero plant in Memphis.
He is the second person to die this year from an on-the-job injury at the plant.
The plant has been cited for violations related to the safe handling and control of hazardous energy and chemicals.
Fire Department spokesman Wayne Cooke says two workers were injured when a sight glass on a pump ruptured, exposing them to a mixture of propane and hydrofluoric acid. A sight glass is a transparent tube or window that allows workers to monitor fluid levels within a tank, pipe, pump or boiler.
One of the workers died at the hospital. The second worker and two firefighters have non-critical injuries.
Company spokesman Bill Day says Valero is investigating and that safety is it most important concern.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze