Video: Fire chopper crashes into water trying to save swimmer
An undetermined mechanical failure has been deemed the cause of the incident
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil — Video shows a Brazilian fire department chopper crashing into the waves while attempting to rescue a stranded swimmer.
Crews suddenly lost altitude and were submerged in the water off of the popular Copacabana Beach, according to Nine MSN.
Witnesses screamed during the incident, as the chopper's blades kept spinning as it sunk deeper into the water.
Those on board the aircraft sustained minor injuries and the swimmer was rescued by a surfer.
A navy ship and a firefighter ship located the chopper and are planning to retrieve it later.
The fire department said an undetermined mechanical failure is the cause of the incident.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze