FDNY firefighter injured in blaze that kills 8-year-old boy
Investigators say a space heater was running too close to flammable materials
The Associated Press
NEW YORK — Authorities say a fire sparked by a space heater in a Brooklyn apartment on a freezing, snowy morning has killed an 8-year-old boy.
The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building in the city's Flatbush neighborhood.
Henry Barnes lives across the street. He tells The New York Times he was awakened by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.
He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."
The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.
Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Fire Prevention
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.