Dallas firehouse temporarily closed due to asbestos
An unnamed source said inspectors also found mold, rat infestation and foundation damage
By FireRescue1 Staff
DALLAS — After a Dallas Fire-Rescue firehouse was temporarily closed due to asbestos, officials are looking into testing other stations for similar issues.
Dallas Observer reported that Fire Station 57 was closed after an inspector found asbestos in the floor tiles. An unnamed source contacted the Observer, claiming an inspection also found mold, rat infestation and foundation damage. The source also said other stations were facing similar issues.
Jim McDade, president of Dallas Fire Association, said many stations are 50 to 70 years old.
"This is just another thing in a long line of why the morale is so low," McDade said.
Crews returned to Station 57 Saturday after officials determined that the station did not present a risk.
Officials are testing other stations in the coming weeks.
Dallas spokesman Richard Hill did not say why the city initiated the asbestos inspection, but did say that the city's Office of Environmental Quality sent an inspector to Fire Station 57 on April 6 and hired an environmental firm to conduct a comprehensive asbestos assessment on April 10.
- Health & Wellness
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.