Take out the garbage
By Mark van der Feyst
When connecting to a fire department connection be on the look out for gargage. Some FDCs will have secure caps and some will not. Individuals will remove the caps and stuff debris such as pop cans, garbage, needles and other items inside the FDC. This debris will cause a blockage and hamper efforts to supply the system.
Whenever making a connection to the FDC, look inside to spot any debris. You can also use the handle of the spanner wrench to poke around inside to ensure there is nothing there. Never use your hand or fingers as there may be sharp objects or contaminated needles inside the FDC.
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- Off-duty firefighter hospitalized after being shot multiple times
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze