The safe way to start a ventilation saw
By Mark van der Feyst
There are three main power saws used by firefighters: ventilation saw, rotary saw and a concrete chain saw. Each is gas powered and must be started by a pull chord.
There are different ways to start a chainsaw in the forestry service, but in the fire service there is one suggested safe way.
Place the saw on the ground or a surface for stability. Place one foot on the footplate by the handle to keep the saw from moving when pulling the chord Follow the appropriate process for preparing the saw before pulling the chord. This may involve pulling out the choke and then pulling the pull chord once or twice allowing the engine to turn over but stall. Then the choke would be pushed back in, the pull chord pulled again with the engine starting and running smoothly.
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze