Firefighter raises money for fallen NY firefighters
The firefighter was on standby at the West Webster station wishing he could help; now he is helping in a different way
By Colleen M. Farrell
The Brighton-Pittsford Post
WEBSTER, N.Y. — Bob Metcalfe was part of the group of firefighters who responded to the Dec. 24 call on Lake Road in the early morning hours of Christmas Eve.
Instead of fighting that fire, though, Metcalfe, along with some of his peers from the Laurelton Fire Department in Irondequoit, was forced to wait at the West Webster Fire Department station for hours until the scene was determined safe.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze