NY union members urged to donate to 'mayor's club' for promotions
Union president alleges 'pay-to-play' scheme involving $500 donation to campaign
By Aaron Besecker
BUFFALO, N.Y. — The Buffalo firefighters' union alleged Tuesday that its members are being urged to donate to Mayor Byron W. Brown's political campaign to help their chances of landing a promotion.
By joining "the mayor's club," a union member lowers the risk of being passed over, Thomas P. Barrett, vice president of Local 282, Buffalo Professional Firefighters Association, told a panel of city lawmakers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze