NM voters approve tax hike benefiting firefighters
The fire tax amounts to about 25 cents on a $100 purchase
Journal Staff Writer
SANTA FE COUNTY, N.M. — Santa Fe County voters displayed a generous mood in Tuesday's election results, decisively approving three bond issue proposals worth a cumulative $35 million. Rural county residents also approved a quarter-cent gross receipts tax increase to fund capital firefighting needs.
"I am particularly pleased because a lot of that bond is going to be for services that go directly back to the community, that affect the larger community," County Commissioner Virginia Vigil said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- Off-duty firefighter hospitalized after being shot multiple times
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze