logo for print

LODD: NJ firefighter dies of hepatitis C

Douglas Ambrozewycz died from liver failure, a result of him contracting hepatitis C from blood transfusions he received for burns he suffered in a blaze

Duty Death: Douglas Ambrozewycz - [Perth Amboy, New Jersey]


By FireRescue1 Staff

PERTH AMBOY, N.J. — A firefighter died Sunday of liver failure after contracting hepatitis C from blood transfusions he received for burns he suffered in a blaze many years ago.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, Perth Amboy Fire Department firefighter Douglas Ambrozewycz was working with Protection Hook & Ladder Company #1 to battle a blaze at a bakery in 1983 when he fell through the floor into the fire below.

Ambrozewycz suffered second- and third-degree burns, and received numerous blood transfusions. As a result, he contracted hepatitis C, but it was not diagnosed until many years later.  

The disease caused several health conditions such as liver failure, which caused his death.

According to a department Facebook post, a memorial service will be held at the end of July.

 

It is with sincere sympathy that we announce the passing of volunteer firefighter Douglas C. Ambrozewycz. Firefighter...

Posted by Perth Amboy Fire Department on Monday, June 11, 2018

 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.