Mold infestation evicts Texas firefighters from station

A temporary building is expected to arrive in two weeks, but it cannot be put to use until it has electricity


SPRING, Texas — A mold infestation at a Texas fire station means firefighters could take longer to respond to emergency calls.

Click2Houston reported that the inside of Station 75 is locked up and firefighters can no longer sleep in the building at night. Deputy Chief Scott Schoonover said mold shut down the station a few weeks ago.

Instead, firefighters have to go home and hope nothing happens overnight. 

A temporary building is expected to arrive in two weeks, but it cannot be put to use until it has electricity, according to the report.

Chief Schoonover said he was told it would be seven weeks before the energy company could get power to the building. 

"Weeks seem like a long time when you are putting people's lives in jeopardy," he said.

The energy company told reporters they're doing everything they can to speed up the process. 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.