Chief Reggie Freeman: ‘I refused to be the weakest link’
The Oakland fire chief talks lifelong learning, the biggest challenge of his career, plus ‘calculated aggression,’ future book titles and pet peeves
On this episode of the Better Every Shift podcast, Oakland Fire Chief Reggie Freeman joins Zam to talk:
- The unspoken battle – or war – between new and older members;
- Changing how we define competence;
- Why diversity is a choice for fire departments;
- Chiefs who have forgotten where they came from;
- The motivation of injustice; and
- His kids’ future in the fire service (??).
What else …
- Hot seat sneak peek: What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- Don’t miss: His advice to his 18-year-old self.
- Episode power-quote: “Family inspires me, injustice motivates me.”
Improve the safety and effectiveness of your department and personnel with an online training solution from FireRescue1 Academy. Access more than 1,000 courses and videos, including more than 440 hours of approved EMS CEUs. With FireRescue1 Academy, training can be delivered during in-service, field training or in a self-paced format. SCHEDULE A FREE DEMO NOW!