Electric vehicle fires: Products, strategies and the power of time
From ‘let it burn’ to full submersion, Captain Patrick Durham explains the continuum of extinguishment approaches
Buckle up for an electric episode, driving hard into everything firefighters need to know about electric vehicle fires. Puns notwithstanding, Zam and Janelle are thrilled to speak with Patrick Durham, a captain and training officer with the Troy (Michigan) Fire Department who also works as a mechanical engineer. Durham started StacheD Training to educate firefighters on a variety of technical topics, including the unique aspects of responding to EV incidents, so he’s the right person to answer all of Zam’s scenario-based questions about how to handle various EV fire situations.
Plus, we get into all this:
- Durham’s takes on the various products for extinguishing EV fires
- Tips for determining whether it’s an EV battery fire or a standard vehicle fire
- How long it takes for an EV fire to burn itself out
- Don’t miss: The smart SCBA analogy to lithium-ion battery fires
- Bonus resource: Electric vehicle fires: Where the waiting game wins
- Hot seat sneak peek: Durham’s dream car … but is it an EV?
Connect with us!
Email email@example.com to share your feedback!
Enjoying the show? Please take a moment to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts.
Improve the safety and effectiveness of your department and personnel with an online training solution from FireRescue1 Academy. Access more than 1,000 courses and videos, including more than 440 hours of approved EMS CEUs. With FireRescue1 Academy, training can be delivered during in-service, field training or in a self-paced format. SCHEDULE A FREE DEMO NOW!