DC firefighters free teen stuck in escalator
Teenage tourist from Canada tried to free his flip-flop from escalator, got his fingers stuck instead
WASHINGTON — A teenage tourist from Canada, trying to free his flip-flop from a Metro escalator, instead got his fingers stuck, according to Metro spokesman Dan Stessel.
The incident took place at 8 p.m. Tuesday, when the 14-year-old boy, visiting D.C. with his family, was on the escaltor going down into the Smithsonian Station, at the National Mall entrance to the station.
When he reached the bottom of the escalator, his flip flop got caught between the escalator step and the metal "comb" plate.
He bent down to free his shoe, and his finger got stuck between the step and the comb plate.
The escalator was turned off, and the D.C. Fire Department and Metro Transit police were called to the scene.
After about 30 minutes, DCFD was able to free the boy's hand. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries to several fingers.
His injuries are not life threatening, according to Stessel. The escalator was shut down but it did not malfunction.
Stessel says Metro has a list of summer escalator safety tips on its web page.
Republished with permission from WUSA9
- Weird News