Woman killed in house fire
A 15-year-old boy was forced to jump out his second-floor bedroom window to safety
By Stephen Tschida
ODENTON, Md. — Fire tore through an Odenton home, killing a 91-year-old woman and forcing a 15-year-old boy to jump out of a window to safety.
Fire crews were called to the home in the 1300 block of Tenbrook Road as the house went up in flames around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. The burst of flames trapped Blanche Anderson, 91, in her room. She could walk but was blind and was unable to escape. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
A neighbor called 911 after hearing the teen yell for help. The family lost just about everything they own and tonight they're coping with the loss of a beloved woman and the family dog.
Full story: Anne Arundel County fire leaves one dead
- Fire Attack
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze