Photo: Firefighters rescue 2 teens from frozen lake
25 firefighters and other emergency personnel freed the teens who had clung to a dead tree for 2 hours
The Associated Press
SHOW LOW, Ariz. — Authorities in the eastern Arizona community of Show Low say two teenagers spent two frigid hours hanging onto a dead tree after ice on a lake began to crack.
Show Low Fire District Capt. Brent Mix says they were rescued late Wednesday.
A third teen stayed on the snow-covered bank of Fool Hollow Lake and called for help when the other two got stuck.
The rescued juveniles were transported to a hospital for treatment of what Mix described as mild hypothermia.
A total of 25 fire and other emergency personnel from several agencies responded.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze