6-year-old killed in house fire
The child's brother is in critical condition
By Cecilia Duffy
LAKEWOOD, N.J. — A 6 year-old boy is dead and his older brother is in critical condition following a Friday morning fire in Lakewood, New Jersey. The fire broke out on the 600 block of Stirling Avenue just after 2 a.m.
When police first arrived, they found some of the family members standing outside, and the mother holding her screaming 2 year-old child. The father was seen running frantically back and forth in front of the burning house, his 9 year-old son standing there in his underwear.
Investigators say the mother told firefighters another child was trapped in the house, but when officers tried to get inside they were pushed back by heavy smoke and flames.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze