Firefighter haunted by not being able to save boy
The five-year-old by after falling into an icy pond
By Jim Woods
The Columbus Dispatch
COLUMBUS, Ohio — A 5-year-old boy died yesterday, three days after being pulled from an icy pond, and a Columbus fire battalion chief remains haunted by the knowledge that he was only 20 feet from rescuing him.
Elijah T. Walker was pronounced dead at 5:15 p.m. at Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus police said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of FireRescue1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
FireRescue1 top 5
- Official: FDNY firefighter may have been jolted from bucket
- Man runs back into burning building for 2 cans of beer
- NJ fire dept.'s apparatus fleet 'in dire need of replacing'
- Video: Volunteer firefighter-EMT rescues girl who fell out of bus
- More than 200 firefighters battle massive 5-alarm building blaze