Fire dept.: Space heaters and power strips do not mix

The Umatilla County Fire District #1 reminded its community in a Facebook post to never plug space heaters into power strips


By FireRescue1 Staff

HERMISTON, Ore. — A fire department reminded its community to never plug a space heater into a power strip.

WJLA reported that Umatilla County Fire District #1 posted a photo on Facebook of a melted power strip and told readers that power strips are not equipped to handle the high power needed for space heaters.

"These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow," the department said.

The Electrical Safety Foundation International, International, a non-profit organization that promotes electrical safety, backs up the fire department’s claim. They echo the fire department’s warning that space heaters should be plugged directly into the wall and no other devices should be plugged into the same outlet as the heater.

Additionally, the ESFI noted that you should:

  • Never leave a space heater unattended; turn it off when you leave a room or go to sleep.
  • Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
  • Keep space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways.
  • Always place space heaters on level, flat surfaces.
 

The weather is getting colder, and people are pulling out their space heaters. We just wanted to remind you that you...

Posted by Umatilla County Fire District #1 on Sunday, November 26, 2017

 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.